Hello, ink enthusiasts! Today, we're diving into the sparkling world of shimmer inks. These inks are like a party in a bottle, ready to add a touch of glamour to your writing. But, like any good party, they require a bit of preparation. So, let's get started!
1. **Choosing Your Fountain Pen:** Not all pens are created equal, especially when it comes to shimmer inks. You'll want a pen that can be easily disassembled, with a nib and feed that can be taken out for cleaning. The Lamy Safari, TWSBI Eco, and Pilot Metropolitan are all great choices. They're like the Swiss Army knives of fountain pens - versatile, reliable, and easy to maintain.
2. **Show Off That Shimmer:** To truly let your shimmer ink shine, you'll need a pen with a broad nib and a wet flow. Think of it like a dance floor - the more space, the more room for your shimmer to boogie! Pilot Parallels and Jinhao X450s are excellent dance partners for your shimmer ink.
3. **Slow Dance. Don't Shake!** Now, let's talk about the ink itself. When you're ready to ink up, resist the urge to shake the bottle like it's a maraca. Instead, turn it gently to distribute the shimmer. Shaking creates air bubbles, and air bubbles are the party poopers of the ink world - they stop the flow.
4. **Use It or Lose It:** Once your pen is inked up, use it daily. Shimmer inks love to be the life of the party, so use your pen daily to keep the ink flowing. If you let the ink dry out in your pen, it can cause clogging.
5. **Cleanliness is Next to Shimmeriness:** If you're not using your pen for a couple of days, or if it's been a week since you last cleaned it, give it a good flush. This keeps the ink flowing smoothly and prevents any build-up.
6. **Deep Clean:** When it comes to cleaning, fully disassemble your pen and use warm clean water. If your pen is particularly stubborn, a drop of dishwashing liquid in a glass of warm (not hot) water can help. Soak it overnight if need be. Remember, patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to cleaning shimmer inks.
7. **Shimmer Only Zones:** Finally, if possible, dedicate certain pens for shimmer inks and others for non-shimmer inks. Even after a thorough cleaning, there might be a few specks of shimmer left that can mix into your next ink. This could lead to some unexpected results, which might be fun, but probably not what you want when you're signing a mortgage!
Remember, using shimmer inks should be as fun as the inks themselves. So, don't be afraid to experiment and, most importantly, enjoy the process. After all, life is too short for boring ink!
And remember, if anyone ever tells you that you have too much shimmer in your ink, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life!
Happy writing, and may your words always shimmer!